Beschrijving van opleiding
The LLB Honours Law Programme is offered at Middlesex University campuses in London, Mauritius and Dubai. Throughout this programme, students develop the knowledge and skills needed to follow a career in law. A career in law offers determined graduates excellent salary prospects and fast progression.
The LLB degree satisfies the requirements of the UK professional bodies, the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board, to enable graduates to proceed to the professional exams, Legal Practice Course or Bar Professional Training Course if they wish to do so.
The LLB Programme offered in Middlesex University Dubai was launched in September 2014 and is the only face-to-face British Qualifying Law Degree currently offered in the UAE.
Why Study LLB Honours Law?
Our lecturers have extensive expertise in academia and practice, bringing a wealth of international experience, challenging you to think beyond the textbook. Alongside developing a thorough grounding in the core areas of English Law, you will gain the legal skills and academic qualifications to embark on the next stage of training. A law degree is also an excellent platform for entering related professions.
- Study the only British Qualifying Law Degree offered in the region.
- Programmes accredited by the bodies regulating the legal profession in the UK.
- Opportunities to interact and network with distinguished legal practitioners.
- Faculty with extensive experience and expertise in legal research, teaching and practice.
- Opportunities to participate in international mooting and MUN competitions.
- Opportunities to participate in field visits to international organisations.
- Gain exposure to legal practice through the Department’s extensive network of partnerships.
You will develop your knowledge of all aspects of law at lectures, seminars and workshops and supplement this with your own independent study. Lectures may be interactive and are designed to stimulate thinking and facilitate understanding. Seminars are small group discussions which you will need to prepare for in advance. Here you will learn to analyse legal principles and apply them to practical situations, assess competing arguments and choose between alternative approaches. Workshops are used to enhance a range of skills and focus on specific areas of expertise. Group work and moots (pretend courts) will hone your verbal arguing and presentation skills.
The programme will also teach you to engage in legal research and to review information from academic sources, journals and electronic resources. As you progress, you will have the opportunity to do your own research into an aspect of law which the course may not have covered. The programme also includes career and networking events and talks by guest speakers from the legal profession.
You will be assessed through exams, moots (pretend courts), presentations and coursework. We will be looking at your knowledge and analysis of legal principles in different areas of law, and also your ability to conduct effective research, your understanding, analysis and use of source materials, your ability to assess competing legal arguments, and your capacity to recognise potential conclusions for situations and give reasons for them. You will be expected to write clearly, succinctly and accurately and use accurate legal terminology. We will also be looking at your verbal arguing skills and your ability to work in a team for moots and presentations.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Public Law (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Legal Method (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Contract Law (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- English Legal System (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Tort (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- EU Law (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Criminal Law (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Alternative Dispute Resolution and Legal Ethics (30 Credits) - Optional
- The UK and European Human Rights Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- Consumers and the Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- Land Law (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Equity and Trusts (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Intellectual Property and Media Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- UK Company Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- Integrated Learning and Work Placement (30 Credits) - Optional
- Public International Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- Project (30 Credits) - Optional
- Medical Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- Employment Law (30 Credits) - Optional
- Child and Family Law (30 Credits) - Optional
jessica45 / Pixabay
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following international qualifications are normally considered for admission:
- Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
- Indian Secondary School Certificates
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All-State Boards may be considered: minimum grade of 60% overall.
- British A-Levels
- Minimum two, maximum of three subjects, with grades of B, B, C (three subjects) or with A*, A* (two subjects)
- International Baccalaureate
- You must have passed the full IB Diploma. In some cases, applicants will also need to have studied certain subjects at Standard or Higher Level. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- Students who have completed their GCSEs are eligible to join our International Foundation Programme – a one year programme to prepare students for entry onto our Undergraduate Programmes. Please note that students must meet the British AS and A Level entry requirements in order to gain entry into the First Year of any one of our Undergraduate Programmes.
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination Grade 12 (Tawjihiya) plus successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** or equivalent programmes
- Pakistani National Curriculum
- Completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university / college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the Middlesex University’s International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
- Iranian Pre-University Certificate
- A minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
- Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
- West African GCE
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
- American High School Diploma
- Students with American High School Diploma are eligible to join our Foundation programme. However, if you have passed the American High School Diploma with the university required GPA and SAT or ACT or AP Scores you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 1 of the undergraduate programme. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- BTEC Level 3
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications***** (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme
- ***** BTEC qualifications (QCF) (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) are acceptable both on their own and in combination with other qualifications. Applicants are expected to have studied for the Diploma or Extended Diploma. The Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma are expected to be studied in combination to equal that of at least the Diploma (for example, the Subsidiary Diploma would need to be offered in combination with either a Diploma or two GCE A levels).
Note: *** International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme to prepare students for entry to Undergraduate programmes
This list shows only a selection of qualifications. If your high school system does not appear here, please contact our Admissions Office and we will be able to advise you further.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each band)
- TOEFL Internet-based: 72 (17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
- PearsonPTE Academic: 51
- PearsonPTE General: Level 3
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level English (as a first or second language): Grade C or Higher
- CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: Minimum grade of 70% in English
- International Baccalaureate: Minimum grade 4 in English A1 (Standard or Higher Level) in IB OR a minimum of grade 5 in English B (Higher Level)
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum (WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE): Minimum grade “C6“
Future Careers and Employability
The LLB Programme offered at Middlesex University Dubai is accredited and recognised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and the Bar Standards Board (BSB) of England and Wales.
The School of Law teaching team, in cooperation with the University’s Careers and Employability Centre, has developed and is gradually expanding a network of partners in the legal profession in Dubai, with the aim to facilitate students in acquiring an internship and career opportunities. Furthermore, employability support workshops are offered on Campus, at the module and/or programme level, to develop and enhance the employability skills and of students and graduates.
The common career route for LLB graduates is that of a solicitor or barrister, but there are many related sectors where a Law degree is also highly desired. These include business (including Human Resources, Tax and Insurance), charity, management or administration. Careers you might pursue include: Solicitor, Barrister, Legal Executive, Paralegal, community advisory work, or in-house legal departments.
Below are just a few examples of the types of careers that you could pursue after graduating with us:
Solicitor: As a solicitor, you will provide legal advice and assistance that covers any issue arising in private or business life for a variety of clients, from private individuals to large companies. You will represent clients in the lower courts and, with specialist training, in the higher courts. Qualified solicitors have a variety of career options and can choose to work in private practice (in a firm of solicitors), within a business or organisation, in the local or national government, or in the court services.
Barrister: Barristers are specialists offering advocacy and advice on legal matters and points of law and plead cases on behalf of their clients. There is a wide range of specialist areas including criminal law, chancery law and civil law of which not all appear in court. Most barristers work from Chambers and are self-employed. An increasing number of employed barristers work in private and public organisations.
Legal executive: A legal executive does similar work to that of a solicitor but performs a more limited range of work often specialising in a particular branch of the law, for example, conveyancing, wills and probate.
Paralegal: As a paralegal, you will provide administrative and legal assistance for a firm of solicitors. Your duties will range from clerical work to similar duties that would be undertaken by a trainee solicitor.
Community advisory work: If you are interested in the 'welfare' side of the law, you could consider social and probation work, welfare advice and housing management. At a professional level, these careers require relevant experience and further training and qualifications. Considerable voluntary work experience is usually a pre-requisite for entry.
In-house Legal Departments: In-house legal work requires you to specifically work on the legal aspects of your company (your employer). Areas of law that you will encounter will depend upon the legal issues arising within that company, ranging from routine contractual duties to dealing with external solicitors.
Over de school
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research. Middlesex University Dubai is the first overseas campus of the internationally re ... Lees meer