Our GDL is designed to help you make a smooth transition from being a non-law graduate into a career in law. As well as converting your non-law degree, you will benefit from a real insight into life in practice. Our course is delivered by industry specialists, many of whom have been practicing solicitors and barristers. They bring a wealth of practical experience to the classroom and teach in innovative ways, ensuring that you are well prepared for the next stage of your training and can demonstrate a higher competency when applying for training contracts and pupillages.
Our GDL is structured to ensure that you not only gain the legal knowledge required to satisfy the academic stage of training for Solicitors and Barristers but that you also develop the skills to be a successful legal professional. By choosing to study your GDL with us, you'll have the best possible start to your legal career:
- Access specialist careers advice from the moment you accept your place until you secure your first legal position
- Flexible ways to learn, designed to fit around your other commitments: full-time, part-time day, evening and weekend, and our online GDL
- Pass the GDL and you are guaranteed a place on our Legal Practice Course (LPC)
- Learn about specialist areas of practice with our optional lectures and workshops
- Convert your GDL into a full LLB (Hons) degree with our free additional modules
- Practice your legal skills through pro bono work with our award-winning Pro Bono Centre
- Learn from qualified solicitors, barristers, and judges who can help develop your legal career - many of our tutors still practice and have links to chambers, law firms and in-house teams at every level.
How to apply:
We recommend you apply as soon as you are ready – priority is given to applicants who have placed BPP University as their first choice.
- Applications for the full-time GDL must be made online through the Central Applications Board (CAB)
- Applications for the part-time GDL must be made directly to BPP University
The Graduate Diploma in Law is awarded by BPP University and is recognized as completion of the academic stage by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and Bar Standards Board (BSB).
How the programme is taught
As soon as you have paid your deposit, you will receive access to our ‘Getting Ahead’ pages on our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), where all of the materials you will need will be available. There is optional suggested pre-reading for each of your core modules as well as all of the materials you need to prepare for your first couple of weeks on the programme.
Following a full induction programme, you will begin the GDL with all of the tools you will need for success. All study materials, including text and casebooks, are included in the fee and all resources and lectures have online equivalents.
You will be taught by our experienced legal professionals and academics, with your time split evenly between tutorials and lectures. You will also have regular consolidation sessions and a wealth of online resources to support this.
Lectures, tutorials, and consolidation sessions are delivered via a mix of live in-center classes, through our VLE, and via Online Classroom Live - our synchronous virtual classroom.
There is an overarching emphasis on skills throughout your GDL. This is provided in three ways:
Skills lectures delivered by our GDL team at the beginning, mid-point, and end of the programme to build your knowledge of the skills you need to succeed
Optional GDL Skills in Practice workshops at two points during the year to develop your understanding of key employability skills
Embedded skills objectives in your tutorials every week, allowing you to practice your skills
As a full-time GDL student, you will study an introduction to the English Legal System followed by the seven foundation modules, through a one-hour tutorial and a one-hour lecture per week – plus regular consolidation in each module.
As a part-time GDL student you will study the same modules, structured as follows:
- Year one: English Legal System, Contract Law, Law of Torts, Constitutional and Administrative Law
- Year two: Land Law, Law of Equity and Trusts, Criminal Law, Law of the European Union, Independent Research Essay
You will also be given access to a range of additional optional lectures and workshops, designed to get you ahead and give you the edge in interviews, including the opportunity to upgrade to a full Graduate LLB (Hons) by taking two additional modules at no extra cost.
Independent research essay options
We offer a wide range of titles, and will always consider individual topics suggested by students. Current options include intellectual property, succession, company law, family law, housing law, medical law and public international law.
Please note: modules run subject to demand, therefore modules may not run in all locations.The lectures and workshops for GDL Extra and GDL Skills in Practice will vary from center to center, as they are driven by student interests and demand. They are delivered either live in-center or via Online Classroom Live, depending on your start date, location and mode.
Deze school biedt programma's in: